Jun 7, 2010

Pilosocereus Azureus & New Peyote Graft

The first time I tried to graft onto this huge Pilosocereus Azureus the join between the Scion & rootstock quickly developed a mould which spread through and ultimately killed the Peyote. The weather was partially humid at the time which probably promoted the mould.

However I moved on and attempted a re-graft a few weeks later when the weather was less moist. I have no idea exactly when I grafted this Lophophora Williamsii Var. Caespitosa but it must be about 2 months old by now. It was a small pup from my mother Var. Caespitosa. It took a while to show signs of the graft taking but it eventually plumped up!

I have taken it inside for the winter to make sure it doesn't develop a mould again. Also to protect it from the overly curious wildlife!

Here are some pics:


I was hoping that the size of the rootstock will cause the Scion to show greater growth (this is what i've heard). But as this graft was done late in the season I think I'll need to wait for spring to see whether this is the case!




You will have to take my word for it as I have no pictures to compare, But this graft has shown some quite significant growth. The scared tissue around the sides of the Peyote used to cover the whole thing! All of the green tissue is New Growth!



This button was showing some significant pupping before it was grafted so I am expecting to see some Extreme Pupping!


Unfortunately it looks like a bird of some sort got too curious & took a couple of hearty pecks out of my poor Peyote!

No comments:

Post a Comment