Jun 7, 2010

Opium poppy (Papaver somniferum)

I brought some Poppy seeds from the trademe site a couple of months ago. I had always intended to grow poppies, but I was going to wait until spring to plant them out. However I heard that in NZ many farmers sow seeds in Autumn as the weather is still warm enough to germinate sub-tropical species & the winters don't get dangerously cold (no frost). This method allows the plants to slowly establish themselves over winter so they can really benefit from the Spring & Summer conditions & push out some higher crop yields.

I followed a brief poppy growing guide I found on the internet (Species Short Track), but due to limited space I was forced to sow the seeds across 8 large plant pots I brought. They germinated readily and filled the surface of all of the pots! I have to say they were Very Successful! I have been systematically picking out the smaller plants & will continue doing so until I am left with 1-2 plants in each pot.

Here are some pics:





Unfortunately I have a distinct Lack of space to grow these plants in. Ideally I would have a small plot set out for them! At the moment I'll have to make do with the sunniest corner of my tiny garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment