Feb 17, 2010

Pilosocereus Azureus & Peyote Graft

Yesterday (17/02/10) I found a HUGE Pilosocereus Azureus for sale at a local garden centre for a very small price $12 NZD.
I could see it was in active growth and perfect for grafting my last Peyote onto!
Here is a pic of how it looked when I brought it:


Pilosocereus Azureus

Grafting a Peyote onto something as tall as this has a few problems, not to mention finding elastic bands that long!
However I remember reading an obscure grafting guide which mentioned a simple way around this problem. Spines of a large cactus such as T. Bridgesii are used to impale through the root stock at an appropriate level. Rubber bands can be attached to these to hold the scion on!
A simple solution!

Not having a large enough T. Bridgesii I used split BBQ skewers to replace the spines.



The operation was tricky, and my hand looked like a pin cushion by the end!






Pilosocereus Azureus and Lophophora Williamsii Graft



The Vascular Cambium on this cactus was much larger than what I've seen on San Pedro and other Trichocereus, Hopefully this will make for a better bond between Rootstock & Scion.

The Pilosocereus Azureus comes very highly recommended as a grafting stock for Peyote.
I am hoping that due to the much larger rootstock that this graft will have much more impressive results!

3 comments: