Feb 16, 2010

!!Flowering Peyote!!

I was casually inspecting the fluff on my Lophophora Williamsii Var. Caespitosa for bugs, when I discovered a tiny little flower bud!!
I was (pathetically) excited! I have heard that Var. Caespitosas tend not to flower so often so this was even more of a treat!
The Pictures were taken in order of the bug emerging:





You may be able to just make out a growing bud!







The flower grew remarkably quickly for a Peyote! These pictures were taken only days apart!











The flower opened during daylight and was closed tight during the night. This was another remarkably quick responce to conditions from such a slow growing plant.
Interestingly the anthers are thigmotactic which means that they react to touch. When a possible pollinator touches them the anthers curl up causing the insect to be totally covered in pollen. This movement is said to be one of the fastest plant movements!

No comments:

Post a Comment