Dec 5, 2009

San Pedro Cutting


Closeup of Apical Meristem showing New Growth, Echinopsis pachanoi, syn. Trichocereus pachanoi.


Echinopsis pachanoi, syn. Trichocereus pachanoi


I picked this short spined San Pedro up on a site called Trade Me (New Zealand's answer to Ebay). When I brought it it was roughly 26cm tall, and a lush dark green colour.
I left it to dry out on a windowsill for a days, and while it was there it began to through out some little roots!
So I planted him up in a glazed pot about 10x15cm.
I later found through extended reading that this pot was far too small, and that Unglazed pots suit cactus better. (I was also eager to check on the roots growth).
So I RE-potted him and found Extraordinary root growth (he'd already almost filled the pot!).
I chose a much larger pot (and improved on the soil) this time, and I will be sure to give him a break from my interruptions.

But I still cannot get over how quickly these roots grow! They certainly make the most of their time when the conditions are good!

No comments:

Post a Comment