Jan 17, 2010

Alcohol and Peyote

DO NOT LET ALCOHOL TOUCH THE FLESH OF PEYOTE.
Somewhere I can remember reading that using alcohol based rubbing gel is a highly effective method of preventing mealybug and red spider mite infestation on peyote plants.
So this is what I did. The next day, this is what I found:



Damaged Lopophora Williamsii var. Caespitosa.



Damaged Lophophora Williamsii.



Damaged Lophophora Williamsii.

It seems that whatever was in this particular alcohol gel is very harmful to peyote. The flesh where the gel touched has bruised and has now scared.
The peyote plants have managed to make a full recovery, but the scars are ugly :< I was so devastated to find my pressious few Lophos like this.

The lesson is, Don't Believe everything you read.

I will have to see it as a Character building exercise for my Peyotes.

1 comment: