Dec 9, 2009

Lophophora Williamsii Seedlings









I planted 50 Lophophora Williamsii seeds on the 14/11/09. These seeds were brought from Divine Cactus. They have been on a windowsill with the exact same setup I had for my previous Trichocerus seeds. However I have had a much lower germination rate so far. Only 12:50 have come through!

I know that Lophophora generally need a higher temperature to germinate (25°). I also have read that it is beneficial to have fluctuating night/day temperatures, and recently the weather hasn't been doing this! :<
Hopefully more will come up over the next few weeks.
Ideally I would have them on a heat-mat with some florescent lighting, but I cannot afford that setup right now. So I am stuck with the El Natural method!

The soil mix is slightly different this time. I added corse river sand at about 1:1 ratio with a commercial cactus mix, I also threw in a few limestone chips. The top 5mm is just corse sand, which the seeds were gently pushed into (very shallow). I head that this would prevent damping off (joke) and help support the seedlings (it also makes it look more like a desert :>).

Today I noticed a whitish mould growing over the gravel, to combat this I sprayed the seed tray with a dilute sulphur solution. I hope this won't have an adverse affect on future germination or on my precious little lophos!!

Here are a few pictures of the germinated seedlings, the largest being about 8mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment